Outstanding energy efficiency
Technology for an economical and sustainable future
The Festo Motion Terminal uses an integrated concept to ensure energy-efficient operation. Energy-efficient basic technologies using piezo valves have been developed to control the main valve stages. These allow proportional pilot control with minimal energy consumption. Compared to widely used conventional solenoid valves, these reduce energy consumption for pilot control by up to 90%.
Apps for energy-efficient operation
"ECO drive" or "Selectable pressure level": Festo has developed these motion apps for energy-efficient operation of pneumatic applications. They can be used to significantly reduce energy consumption and can be supplemented by diagnostic apps for tasks such as locating leaks.
Load-dependent energy consumption
The "ECO drive" app can now be used to automatically reduce pneumatic energy consumption to the level actually required for a movement. This keeps energy consumption to the bare minimum for simple motion tasks that do not require any additional force in the end position. Look at this example of a slide device for a wooden block to see how this works.
A standard valve supplies a pressure of 6 bar to the compressed air network. At the end of the movement, the full supply pressure of 6 bar is built up in the drive chamber, irrespective of the moving load – as seen at the bottom of the animation.
ECO drive with the Festo Motion Terminal: for energy savings of up to 70%
The compressed air network supplies the Festo Motion Terminal with a pressure of 6 bar. Depending on the load and the movement phase, the actual pressure in the drive is reduced to the level required using throttled pressurisation. This can be seen at the top of the animation.
- During the movement phase: load-dependent pressure thanks to throttled pressurisation without a one-way flow control valve
- At the end of the movement: the compressed air supply is switched off. The drive is operated at the minimum pressure required for the load, e.g. 4 bar. Unlike in standard operation, the pressure is not increased to the level of the supply pressure (6 bar).
- Return stroke with no load: here, an even lower pressure level is used – the consumption is automatically adapted to the load again.
Apps for diagnostics
Diagnostic functions for cost prevention
Detecting leaks at an early stage will increase your process reliability and productivity while also reducing unnecessary energy losses. Active condition monitoring will thus directly help you to reduce the lifecycle costs for your systems. This will facilitate a faster return on investment (ROI) and make you more competitive.
Selectable pressure level
Thanks to the ability to specify the required pressure level digitally in the "Selectable pressure level" motion app, you can now easily and individually adjust the pressure for every movement – and every application. Check whether you really need to use the maximum pressure level for your automation tasks!
- For example, you could set a lower energy level for the non-load return stroke of your pressing applications.
- For vertical downwards movements, the Festo Motion Terminal uses the force of gravity to save energy by reducing pressure.
- For functions with fluctuating loads or different forces in the end position, every motion can be defined to optimise energy consumption, while load-dependent pressure level definition is also possible.